[PVE-User] Migration VM from VMWare 5 (.vmdk) to Proxmox

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Thu Mar 31 10:15:10 CEST 2016

On 03/31/2016 09:51 AM, Edgardo Ghibaudo wrote:
> The Linux guest (RHEL 4) in VMware 5 has the following configuration:
>     - SCSI controller 0    LSI Logical Parallel
> I tried in Proxmox to use all the possible disk emulation (VIRTIO, IDE,
> SATA, SCSI), but the result is always the same (kernel panic !!).
> I tried to start with Knoppix and I tried to update fstab, but the
> result is always the same (kernel panic !!).
>
> Edgardo

Hi Edgardo
Before starting the Migration, as a general rule of thumb,  you should
remove the Vmware guest extensions from the VM ( this should happen when
the VM is running inside VMware )

Also when selecting the SCSI controller type, did you try the different
SCSI controller options in the Options panel ? (If you have the VM guest
extensions installed VMware PVSCSI might be a good bet)