[PVE-User] Cannot boot on a Windows 7 VM from a full-cloned template

Gaël Jobin gael.jobin at switzerlandmail.ch
Wed Mar 16 19:15:48 CET 2016

Hi all,

I'm using Proxmox with the testing repo.

I successfully installed a Windows 7 VM and made a template of it.
Then, I tried to create a new VM by cloning the previous template (full
clone). Unfortunately, the new VM cannot boot Windows. On the other
hand, with a "linked-clone", it works fine.

I noticed that the cloning was internally doing a "qemu-img convert".
More precisely in my case, "/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -p -f raw -O raw
/var/lib/vz/images/106/base-106-disk-1.raw /var/lib/vz/images/109/vm-
109-disk-1.raw".

I did the same command manually and was quiet surprised to see that the
new disk has the exact same size but not the same MD5 hash (md5sum
command).

Any idea why qemu-img corrupt the disk?

For the moment, I just manually "cp" the base disk to my newly created
VM directory and it's working. Also, I tried to convert the base disk
from raw to qcow2 and back qcow2 to raw and the new raw disk is booting
fine ! The problem seems related to "raw to raw" conversion...

qemu-img version 2.5.0pve-qemu-kvm_2.5-9

Thank you for your help,

Regards,
Gaël