[PVE-User] Ceph or Gluster

Angel Docampo adocampo at dltec.net
Mon Apr 25 09:59:45 CEST 2016

On 22/04/16 12:42, Mohamed Sadok Ben Jazia wrote:
> Hello list,
> In order to set a high scalable proxmox infrastructure with a number of
> clusters, i plan to use distributed storing system, for this i have some
> questions.
> 1- I have a choice between Ceph and Gluster, which is better for proxmox.
We use gluster because we develop our custom translator for it, the
disperse translator (now on the official branch), and we had tested
gluster extensively since 5 years now. Is far from be perfect, but it
works just fine and even it has its pros and cons, we like the
simplicity to set up a cluster, and reinforced with ZFS, it gets a boost
in performance.
> 2- Is it better to install one of those systems on the nodes or on
> separated servers.
The best practices says they should be on separated systems, but we have
them on the same proxmox cluster. In our scenario, ZFS "eats" great part
of the RAM, so we need to have a lot of it, depending on the size of the
data of the volume (ZFS needs 1GB for each TB to be fine) and the number
of VMs you want to put it on. At least 64GB, but 128GB should be fine.
> 3- Can this architecture realise a stable product, with VM and LXC
> migration (not live migration), store backups and snapshots, store iso
> files and lxc container templates.
Yes, no problem.