[PVE-User] Ceph or Gluster

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Mon Apr 25 09:24:46 CEST 2016

Hi,

El 23/04/16 a las 02:36, Lindsay Mathieson escribió:
> On 23/04/2016 7:50 AM, Brian :: wrote:
>> With NVME journals on a 3 node 4 OSD cluster
>
> Well your hardware is rather better than mine :) I'm just using
> consumer grade SSD's for journals which won't have anywhere near the
> performance of NVME
So, here you have the reason for your bad write performance with Ceph.
You have to carefully choose the journal SSDs, otherwise you can be
better even without SSDs... (yes, I made this very mistake too!)
What brand/model?

[...]
> One huge problem I've noticed with ceph is snapshot speed. For me via
> proxmox, ceph rbd live snapshots were unusably slow. Sluggish to take,
> but rolling back a snapshot would take literally hours. Same problem
> with restoring backups. Deal breaker for me. Gluster can use qcow2
> images and snapshot rollbacks would take a couple of minutes at worst.

I don't usually use snapshot, but in Proxmox restore to a Ceph storage
is quite sloooooow too. (It's almost insulting really, a pitty because
the integration is very good).

Cheers
Eneko

--