[PVE-User] Proxmox + ZFS: Performance issues

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Apr 24 18:57:00 CEST 2016

Perhaps irrelevant,  but a colleague of mine recently solved a puzzling performance issue merely by replacing the existing SATA cables with new, properly-rated cables.
Turns out, much like USB v1 vs USB v2, there's next to nothing distinguishing SATA I cables vs SATA II cables vs SATA III cables, except for unusually poor performance when used at too high a speed.
Only the magnitude of your performance drop suggests this; also the fact that you get good raw read performance, which mirrors the symptoms in the SATA cable case precisely.
-Adam