[PVE-User] VDI on Proxmox anyone?

Angel Docampo adocampo at dltec.net
Mon Oct 5 15:20:21 CEST 2015

Oh, I forgot to say we mainly use Linux as desktops, so no need to
golden image as linux is multi-user, so I need only to upgrade one VM.
We have some windows server with terminal services and with some
windows-only software on them, but as said, VDI infrastructure relys on
linux desktops ;)

Anyway, you can have windows VM and access through a thinclient booting
x2go (or other lightweight linux distro bootable via PXE) and access
your windows VDI throught rdesktop instead of x2go client, I've just
tried the same youtube video both in windows and in linux and while in
linux trought x2go protocol the video seems smoother while not in full
screen, seems that rdesktop protocol in windows handles full screen
videos a bit better... anyway, in a enterprise environment, where
watching videos is sporadical and they can be seen perfectly in a
windowed size, all virtual environments, from KVM to commercial, offers
a pretty but limited performance.

As you can see, my approach is different from yours: instead to have one
VM for each users (even each VM is a linked clone from a template) I
have one VM for many users, one linux and one windows. In linux is free
and in windows I must use TS licenses (well, if you're legal, you should
use them also in windows clones).

The benefeits in having several users on the same VM is shared memory,
resources from the VM are shared amongst the users, but in echange
having a machine-user ratio of 1:1 you can isolate the processes, in
both approaches, you only must maintain only one VM.

--

*Angel Docampo
*