[PVE-User] iPXE rom version update

Phil Kauffman kauffman at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 27 06:44:11 CEST 2015

I would like to request that 'pve-qemu-kvm' include a more recent build
of iPXE. It includes things like being able to build menus. Using the
default version will bomb and give you an error: 'menu command not found'

I suggest that the newer versions be included by default. I'm sure the
package maintainer is already aware of how to do this but I'll include
the following anyway for everyone else:

# clone iPXE
git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git
cd ipxe/src

# build ipxe rom
make bin/8086100e.rom    # e1000
make bin/virtio-net.rom  # virtio
make bin/10ec8139.rom    # rtl8139

# you should now have those rom files in bin/ which you can then copy
into the deb or, if you are not the package maintainer, into the
directory /usr/share/kvm/. Note the name difference:
# now copy into /usr/share/kvm. Backup the old copies first.
cp bin/8086100e.rom /usr/share/kvm/pxe-e1000.rom
cp bin/virtio-net.rom /usr/share/kvm/pxe-virtio.rom
cp bin/10ec8139.rom /usr/share/kvm/pxe-rtl8139.rom

Cheers,

Phil