[PVE-User] Using raw LVM without partitions inside VM

Mikhail m at plus-plus.su
Sat Apr 11 11:14:52 CEST 2015

Hello Brian,

Maybe you could share more details and tell us what went wrong exactly?
I'm not following where exactly your problem begins.

We have been using "nested" LVM on our Proxmox setup for couple years
now and never had such problems. Our setup looks similar to what you're
looking for -

Proxmox Host node uses local RAID storage (or iSCSI attached storage in
some cases), that storage is used by LVM as PV, then we create VG on top
of that PV, and then we use that VG within Proxmox (which is setup from
Proxmox web console via Add storage -> LVM). Next, when we create a VM,
we use that LVM storage to host VM on. OS inside VM also uses LVM
(without any separate /boot partitions, all available and allocated disk
space is assigned to and seen by OS via LVM).

Never had any problems with such setup.

Mikhail.