[PVE-User] Bug in OVS creation from GUI

Friedrich Ramberger f.ramberger at gmx.at
Thu Oct 30 11:20:34 CET 2014

Hello Usama,

it´s not a bug.

The background of the problem is:

When installing the standard ovs package the ovs daemon starts AFTER
networking, you can see it in /etc/init.d/openvswicth-switch like this

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          openvswitch-switch
# Required-Start:    $network $named $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop:     $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Open vSwitch switch
and utilities for
#                    the Open vSwitch kernel-based switch.
### END INIT INFO

In that case allow-ovs is necessary because when networking starts (which in
that case BEFORE ovs) ovs is not running yet. The "allow-ovs" keyword
advices the ovs daemon during start to activate the interfaces.

But when installing the package from PVE respository the ovs daemon starts
BEFORE networking, you can see it in /etc/init.d/openvswicth-switch like
this

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          openvswitch-switch
# Required-Start:    pvenetcommit
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs
and utilities for
#                    the Open vSwitch kernel-based switch.
### END INIT INFO

In that case "allow-ovs" is not necessary because when networking starts the
ovs daemon runs already and the interfaces can be activated immediately.

This does not affect the need of e.g. "allow-vmbr1" becasue it´s an advice
to start the ovs ports AFTER the ovs bridges.

In Proxmox we should always use the version from PVE repository!

Remark: If once by mistake the ovs from original debian had been installed
replacing it by that one from PVE does not help - I did not figure out yet
why.

Kind regards

Fritz

Hello,

I believe there is a bug in Ver. 3.3. Creating an OVS Bridge does not add
the line "allow-ovs vmbrX". For vmbr1 I had to manually add the line after
which it works perfectly, am certain the same would be true for vmbr2.
Although this is an easy work around it does sort of defeat the purpose of
the GUI. You will notice in the attached screenshot it actually removes the
line "-allow-ovs vmbr1".

Thank you

Sincerely,
Usama