[PVE-User] excessive I/O latency during CEPH rebuild

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Tue Oct 28 16:03:37 CET 2014

I'm seeing ridiculous I/O latency after out'ing and re-in'ing a disk in
the CEPH array; the OSD monitor tab shows two OSDs (i.e. disks) having
latency above 10msec - they're both in the 200ms range - but reading a
single uncached sector from a virtual disk takes >10sec.

It's bad enough that all my virtualized DNS servers are timing out and
this, of course, directly impacts service.

During normal (non-rebuild, non-rebalance) operations, CEPH is not
terribly fast to write, but delivers acceptable read speeds.

Where do I start looking for problems?  Are there any knobs I should be
tweaking for CEPH?

--
-Adam Thompson
  athompso at athompso.net