[PVE-User] Can I delete the hard disk of a running VM??!! Really??!! It can't be!!!

Hector Suarez Planas hector.suarez at codesa.co.cu
Fri Oct 17 13:11:09 CEST 2014

Hi all.

> Zitat von Hector Suarez Planas <hector.suarez at codesa.co.cu>:
>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I'm testing a VM with VyOS and I accidentally delete the hard disk,
>> but ¡¡¡The VM still powered on!!!. I reboot the VM and working on
>> after reboot. Where is the hard disk? Well, the qcow2 file do not
>> exist on /var/lib/vz/imaged/VMID. This thing is using a cached hard
>> disk??!! I thought I went crazy, but not.
>>
>> I power off the VM completely and turn on it again. Aaaaaahhh, disk
>> not found:
>>
>> No bootable device
>>
>> This bug must be fix. When VM is powered on, the hard disk or other
>> device must be locked.
>>
>> If someone malicious comes up to remove hard disks of our powered on
>> virtual machines, we're screwed.
>>
>> :(
>
> If you try this with the Management GUI you will get a warning, if you
> do it as "root" on command line all is lost. That's Unix after all.
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

Sorry I did not put the main part. I know this is the natural behavior of Linux. I mean that I deleted the hard disk of the powered on virtual machine using the Proxmox GUI, which should not be allowed.

I went to /var/lib/vz/images/VMID directory to make sure if the image was deleted or not. It was deleted. I was referring to the Proxmox GUI must have a lock mechanism that does not allow delete the hard disk while the virtual machine is powered on. Only that.

Wow... You are many, many ... Hehehehehe.

:D