[PVE-User] Uncompressed backups are compressed?

Chris Murray chrismurray84 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:53:45 CET 2014

Thank you Yannis.

I see from the forum link [1] that the file is not rdiff friendly. I still think that storing an amount of data inside a smaller file is ‘compression’, regardless of how much is actually used inside the RAW file (is RLE compression still a thing?), but that does answer my question. It’s a shame, because I’ll now have to extract backups as they’re created somehow in order to get them into a state where they can be de-duplicated again. I think many people would appreciate a file format inside which the data is aligned, even if it is out-of-order to a degree. I won’t be the first person who has virtual machines which don’t change much.

[1] http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/13475-Proxmox-2-3-new-backup-methode-vma-not-rdiff-friendly