[PVE-User] recommendations for a single node setup

Massimo Santoro massimo at tuxel.com
Fri Mar 7 11:07:16 CET 2014

On 06/03/2014 17:05, Frederic Van Espen wrote:
> Our requirements: - easily create snapshots - easily create backups
> (perhaps on another external storage) - in case of hardware failure
> ability to restore on a newly installed node I'd like the list's
> recommendations and experiences for what to use for the local
> filesystem. Should we put the disk images in an LVM group? Maybe
> better to just put them on an ext4 filesystem with qcow images? What
> about all the fuss around ZFS? Keep in mind we'd like to use both CT's
> and VM's.

- Use Raid10 (4+ disks). Avoid Raid5 for these reasons:
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/356486-why-is-raid5-so-bad)
- Configure LVM on top of it on the host and configure it on the pve
storage web panel
- Make simple scripts like this one to create and backup snapshots (even
on mounted nfs):

#!/bin/sh

# destination backup path (even NFS or other network fs mounted)
DESTBACKUP=/<destinationmountpoint>

# LVM Volume Group path
LVMCLUSTER=/dev/<lvmvolumegroup>

# we want to be sure that all the LV's are up and available
/sbin/vgchange -ay

#backup vm 101 disk 1
/sbin/lvcreate -L4G -s -n backup-101-1 ${LVMCLUSTER}/vm-101-disk-1
/bin/dd bs=65536 if=${LVMCLUSTER}/backup-101-1 | gzip >
${DESTBACKUP}/backup-101-1.img.gz
/sbin/lvremove -f ${LVMCLUSTER}/backup-101-1

[...]

Brgds,

Massimo Santoro