[PVE-User] Question to add iSCSI storage

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Wed Dec 10 12:52:50 CET 2014

Le 10/12/2014 09:43, Edgardo Ghibaudo a écrit :
> To add an external iSCSI area we followed the following steps:
> 1) As reported in the
> _http://www.howtoforge.com/using-iscsi-on-debian-squeeze-initiator-and-target_
> I executed correctly the "iscsiadm -m discovery" and "iscsiadm -m
> node" commands
> 2) I inserted in fstab the "/dev/sdd1  /mnt/ISCSI  ext3  _netdev 0  0"
> entry
> 3) I configured the iSCSI area from PROXMOX as DIRECTORY type
>
> Is it correct ? or is it necessary from PROXMOX storage to use iSCSI
> instead of DIRECTORY ...

Hello !

If you want to use all the features of Proxmox, including live migration
and/or High Availability,
you should not use local storage (directory).

When you create a storage, you can choose iSCSI, Proxmox will manage the
block storage.
After that, you can (and I think it's the best use case) create a LVM
storage, based on the iSCSI storage.

Then, when you create your VM, it will use a logical volume of the LVM
in the iSCSI LUN.
Theses LV can be seen from every proxmox nodes and Proxmox can manage
which VM has access to which LV.