[PVE-User] Windows7, memory ballooning, ksm, weird memory consumption

Pongrácz István pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 19:55:03 CET 2014

 Hi,

I have a strange issue with the latest PVE and windows 7.

The problem is the huge memory reservation and opposite memory reports. Only one windows7 is running without any usage, but the memory consumption is huge, including ksm.

The memory config for the windows7 VM: 2GB (min.) / 22GB (max.)
Processor config: 4 (1 socket, 4 cores) [Nehalem]

VM status reports: Memory usage: Total 22GB ; Used: 1.86GB

PVE RAM usage: Total: 31.39GB; Used: 23.02GB; KSM: 8.22GB

The used memory inside the VM is the same as the VM reports, around 1.86GB.

So, I do not really understand the situation.

What do you think about this kind of memory usage? Is this normal?

I use zfs on linux, I checked the memory configuration of it (arc limited to 2GB), so, we can forget the zfs as problem source.

Any idea?

Thanks,

István