[PVE-User] efficient backup of VM on external storage.

Fabrizio Cuseo f.cuseo at panservice.it
Sat Oct 5 12:57:31 CEST 2013

All my answers below:

> 1. would you please share your hardware specs of Ceph storage cluster
> and PVE Box and the connectivity of all boxes.

You can use legacy linux servers for Ceph Storage; of course, you can use cheap servers (ex: HP Microserver, with 4 sata disks) if you don't mind about performances; if you want performances, you can use 3 xeon based server, not less of 8Gbyte ram (16Gbyte is better), and several SAS disks for each server. For network connections, use 2/4 giga ethernet in a single bond.
You can also use every kind of legacy linux server, or a virtual machine on each proxmox node, using 2 or more local disks (not used for other proxmox local storage), like Vmware does with VSA (virtual storage appliance); performances can be enough or not depending on your needs.

> 2. do you relay upon only replication. dont you take the backup of
> VM? if yes then again would you please throw some light on your
> strategy in reference to my question in first message.

Replication is never enough; you always need a backup with a retemption strategy; use another storage (a cheap soho nas with 2/4 sata disk in raid 1/10)

You can find an howto on proxmox ve wiki, ( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_Ceph ) and of course you can read on ceph home page.

> 4. is your setup Ceph cluster is like DRBD active/passive with heart
> beat. if one down second will auto up. with a second or 2 downtime?

Replication on a clustered storage is something different; every "file" is splitted in several chunks (blocks) and every chunk is written on 2 or more servers (depending of replication level you need); so if one of the nodes of the ceph storage cluster dies (or if you need to reboot, change hardware, move location), the cluster can work in degraded mode (as a raid volume), but differently from raid, if you have 3 or more servers, and your replica goal is 2, the cluster begin to write the clusters with only 1 copy on the other servers; when your dead server can rejoin the cluster, it will be syncronized with every change... so always works like a charme.

> Sorry for involving DRBD all the time since i have only worked on
> DRBD clustering, only concept of mine in clustering starts and ends
> on DRBD+heartbeat :) and as you also know that DRBD work little
> differently and have some limitations too. so please dont mind.

Is really different, and (for me) better. A storage cluster is not only redundant, but you can expand it lineary, with other server and/or disks, having more space (theoretically infinite space), more redundancy (if you change your replica goal from 2 to 3, for example), and more performance because you have more cpu, more disk, more IOPS.

Regards, Fabrizio

--
---
http://www.panservice.it  mailto:info at panservice.it