[PVE-User] ProxMox on Amazon EC2

Maurice Aubrey maurice.aubrey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 07:24:24 CET 2013

Hi. I've seen various mentions of running ProxMox on Amazon EC2 but
haven't seen any recent info.

I actually have an EC2 instance running ProxMox successfully but it's
on Squeeze.

$ uname -a
Linux proxmox 2.6.32-12-pve #1 SMP Tue May 15 06:02:20 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I realize this is a completely unsupported configuration, but I've
found it useful for development.

I week or so ago I tried using some of the newer Debian EC2 images
with pv-grub support, but had no luck. I started the instance and then
followed the instructions for installing ProxMox manually (e.g.,
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Wheezy)

On boot, however, I kept getting errors about /dev/xvda not being found.

Has anyone done this successfully with Debian 7? If not, anyone
interested in working with me to see if we can get one working?

Thanks,

Maurice