[PVE-User] Question about Proxmox HA

ahmad imanudin ahmadiman1126 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 03:38:53 CET 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 11:40:58 -0200
> From: Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com>
> To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> Subject: [PVE-User] Question about Proxmox HA
>
> Hello
>
> We have here a cluster created with 3 nodes and a simple storage...
> It's just to test porposes...
> There is no fence devices, for now.
> After setting up all Proxmox Hosts and VM's, when I turn off a VM on
> node1, for example, the VM is started on node2.
> But when I plugged off the network cable, the some doesn't happen!
>
> Why? Because the cluster is without fence device??
>
> Thanks...

Hi Gilberto,

I Have been testing Proxmox HA without fencing device and works. I test
with 2 nodes Proxmox but have not tried with 3 nodes. I also posting in my
blog about howto :
http://ahmad.imanudin.com/2013/08/18/tips-proxmox-configure-proxmox-high-availability-without-fencing-device/
with
indonesian language :D

This is my Cluster configuration
*************************************
cp /etc/pve/cluster.conf /etc/pve/cluster.conf.new
nano /etc/pve/cluster.conf.new

*<?xml version="1.0"?>*
*<cluster config_version="5" name="excellent">*
*<cman expected_votes="1" keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey"
two_node="1"/>*
*<fencedevices>*
*<fencedevice agent="fence_manual" name="human"/>*
*</fencedevices>*
*<clusternodes>*
*<clusternode name="pve1" nodeid="1" votes="1">*
*<fence>*
*<method name="single">*
*<device name="human" nodename="pve1"/>*
*</method>*
*</fence>*
*</clusternode>*
*<clusternode name="pve2" nodeid="2" votes="1">*
*<fence>*
*<method name="single">*
*<device name="human" nodename="pve2"/>*
*</method>*
*</fence>*
*</clusternode>*
*</clusternodes>*
*</cluster>*

Note :
excellent = My Cluster name
pve1 = Hostname for Proxmox 1 (node 1)
pve2 = Hostname for Proxmox 2 (node 2)

Importan : You must edit config_version every change cluster configuration.

Next you can configure VM with clue from here :
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability_Cluster and try to power off
host Proxmox.
Example :

I have VM running on Proxmox 1 (node1) and have been configured HA. Forced
off node 1 and run this command from node 2 to take over VM

fence_ack_manual pve1 (pve1 is hostname node 1)

after that, you must confirm with answer *absolutely*

Thanks

--

**
Best Regards,

Ahmad Imanudin -  Sharing is Beautiful !
Web : http://ahmad.imanudin.com, YM : ahmad_imanudin
FB : http://facebook.com/imanudin11 Twitter : @ahmad_9111