[PVE-User] Migration to Proxmox VE - Any hints & tips for me?

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:45:10 CET 2013

Hello dear Proxmox users,

the time has come: I want to migrate both my servers to Proxmox VE.

In preparation to do so, I would like to present you my current setup
and where I want to go and kindly ask you for some feedback / input /
hints / advices / links, etc so that I have a solid starting point and
can "dive" into the world of Proxmox VE.

Current setup:
==================================
1.: Server A in DMZ
- Bare Metal: openSUSE x64
- running KVM hypervisor
- VMs:
     - Ubuntu Server x64:
         - CPU: ACPI/APIC
         - HDD controller: Virtio
         - HDD: raw
         - NIC: Virtio

2.: Server B in LAN
- openSUSE x64
- disk partition 1, approx. 20 GB:
     - the OS running the following services:
         - DNS, NTP, DHCP
         - Directory Server acting as Primary Domain Controller and File
server (Samba)
- disk partition 2, approx. 1,5 TB:
     - user data

Planned solution:
==================================
1.: Server A in DMZ
- Bare Metal: Proxmox VE
- VMs:
     - <Migration of the currently existing VM Ubuntu Server x64>

2.: Server B in LAN
- Bare Metal: Proxmox VE
- VMs:
     - <Migration of the currently existing bare metal OS openSUSE x64>

Thougths & Questions:
==================================
1. Server A in DMZ:
My idea is that I backup the virtual disk file of the current VM to an
USB hard disk, then delete everything and install Proxmox VE on the bare
metal. After this I copy the virtual disk file of the VM back to Proxmox
by reconnecting the USB hard disk and make Proxmox VE run this file as a VM
a) Do you see any obstacles I have to take care of?
b) Is it possible to connect the USB hard disk for restoring the virtual
disk file in Proxmox? I have a normal Debian under the hood, isn't it,
so I should be able to just mount the USB disk and copy the file to some
place that Proxmox expects such virtual disk files, right? What place is
that and what would be the procedure be to make Proxmox use this virtual
disk file as a VM afterwords?
c) Do you see any problems concerning the "specs"of the VM and
compatibility with Proxmox VE?

2. Server in LAN:
My idea is to make a full disk backup of the current partition 1 (OS and
server services) with Clonezilla and an rsync-copy of the data on
partiton 2, both to an external USB hard disk. Then I delete everything
and install Proxmox VE on the bare metal. Finally I create a VM, run
clonezilla again and restore partition 1 and the user data of partition
2 by reconnecting the USB-hard disk.
a) Do you see any obstacles I have to take care of?
b) How about the user data partition? Should I place the data into the
VM I just created, too, or would it be advisable to create some other
data drive for that? Would it be possible to create some kind of "shared
data volume" (on this server, not in the network!) for multiple VMs of
this server to be able to access the data? Or what do you suggest on how
to handle the Samba Server and it's user data best?
c) Can I make this partition to be growing instead of the necessity to
define a fixed size upfront?

Thank you for any feedback & advice!

Cheers,
Thinkerix