[PVE-User] Console issue with reverse proxy.

Julien Groselle julien.groselle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 10:59:06 CEST 2013

Hi Paul,

You omit a lot of the details of your particular situation - what
> clients are you using? what is your proxy server (squid?)?  With regard
> to the network topology, do you have the ability to connect directly to
> the Proxmox servers? Do you have administrative control on the proxy?
> Are you working on a Windows box where you have administrative rights or
> where the proxy is part of site-wide active directory policy?

The client is not important here, but I have made test with MS IE, Firefox,
and google chromium.
The proxy is a reverse one, so these can't be a squid... It's a web server
in revorse mode (apache / nginx).
I have all the required rights on the infrastructure. I have configured the
proxy like that :

|  Internet  |   ---->                                  /----> |  Proxmox 1

                            |   Reverse Proxy   |
|  Intranet  |   -----/                                  \----> |  Proxmox
2  |

So we use the proxy to connect to Proxmox from outside.

> The simplest solution would be to add exceptions on your local
> client/browser configuration for the proxy, bypassing the proxy for the
> Proxmox IP addresses (would you really need to load balance access to
> the Proxmox interface?  Is there THAT much traffic to the head end that
> it needs to be load balanced?).

Of course we can bypass the proxy server... But if I use proxmox1 to
connect on proxmox web interface, if proxmox1 are unreachable, i need to
make another connection to promox2 to access the web interface. For myself,
it's not really a problem, but i'm not alone to use this interface.
The use of reverse proxy is not just for load balancing, but for failover
too.

> If you don't have the ability to connect directly to the proxmox head
> end, then you'll need to configure the proxy to additionally manage the
> console port.

For now I bypass the proxy... so it's ok, i can join the console.
Thank you for your answer ad sorry for the answer slowdown.

By the way, an other question :
I have tried to set up a virtual network interface with heartbeat in
between the two proxmox server (cluster mode).
But when I try to install heartbeat, aptitude want uninstall corosync and
many parts of proxmox.
Should I use corosync to make my virtual network interface ? Or proxmox dev
don't want we touch this conf file (for future update) ?

Have a good day.
---
JG