[PVE-User] Security question

Adam Hunt voxadam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 09:23:26 CEST 2013

Warning: I'm new to Proxmox and pretty new to virtualization in general.

I am looking at using Proxmox on a leased box in a rack somewhere for some
personal projects. One thing that I've noticed about Proxmox is the use of
root, access is available via both SSH and the web interface. Is this
required for Proxmox to function properly? I've always been taught that
it's a bad idea to expose root directly via SSH not to mention some web
interface.

If I end up using Proxmox on my leased server what is the best way to
secure the interfaces?

By the way, the leased box I am using only has a single NIC and IP at the
moment. I can get more IPs if I have to but I'm limited to a single NIC.