[PVE-User] Proxmox and NAS4Free

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Mon Feb 25 22:38:40 CET 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:06:55 -0300
Fábio Rabelo <fabio at fabiorabelo.wiki.br> wrote:

> Someone uses NAS4Free as storage for Proxmox ?!?

I have tried most of the NAS solutions out there, and then some more:-)

NAS4Free: Stable but the GUI is not so polished. NFS is fine but ISCSI
sucks. Based on FreeBSD 9.1. Developed by an OSS community.
FreeNAS: Stable and a nice GUI. NFS is fine but ISCSI sucks. Based on
FreeBSD 8.3. Backed by a company so payed support is available.
Openfiler: Project is abandoned.
Openmediavault: Very young and more or less a one mand project. Quit
stable but not a race horse. Based on Debian Stable.
FreeBSD: Same problem, and who wonders, as with FreeNAS and NAS4Free.
Developed by an OSS community.
OpenIndiana with napp-it: Same as with all the FreeBSD based systems,
horrible ISCSI performance on-top of ZFS.

But we seems to have a winner:
Ominios with napp-it: Blazingly fast ZFS and rock stable ISCSI as well.
I am in the middle of conducting a serious performance test which I
gladly will publish on this list/forum if somebody wants to read it?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow.