[PVE-User] Fwd: Re: proxmox 2.0 file system

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Wed Jan 25 17:53:41 CET 2012

I forgot to send my answer to the list.

Alain

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	Re: [PVE-User] proxmox 2.0 file system
Date : 	Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:36:09 +0100
De : 	Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>
Pour : 	Severin Kacianka <severin.kacianka at aau.at>

Hi Severin,

Le 25/01/2012 15:44, Severin Kacianka a écrit :
>  Hello,
>
>  I just wanted to install proxmox on a new server and noticed that both
>  1.9 and 2.0 want to use ext3 as file system. The problem with ext3 is,
>  that it only supports volumes up to 16TB size. As our new server has
>  more and I do not really want to create multiple smaller volumes, I
>  would need the ability to change the file system. The lenny installer
>  (to my knowledge) only supports ext3, so installing from lenny is not
>  really an option for me.
>  Is there any hope, that the default install will switch to ext4 (or
>  offer a choice in the file system)? What would be the simplest and
>  cleanest solution for me? Install debian squeeze (6.0) and install
>  proxmox 2.0 ontop of it?

It is possible to install your system with ext4. Just type, when you
boot your server with the Prowmox ve 2.0 CDROM :
'linux ext4'

But there have been several tests and benchmarks from the Proxmox team
and others (for example Udo), showing that the performances were in most
cases lower than with ext3. See for exemple this thread (and the
benchmarks at the end from Udo) :
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6606-Proxmox-2-0-not-likely-to-have-SSD-support

I tested the installation with ext4, with a Dell PE R510 server with 5
To in Raid 10, and a H700 Raid card (which should be rather good), and
here is wwhat I got :
# pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS:      36265.42
REGEX/SECOND:      778230
HD SIZE:           94.49 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS:    591.01 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 6.63 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     307.33
DNS EXT:           58.00 ms
DNS INT:           14.29 ms

Fsyncs/second are very low for such a system, they shoud be above 3000.

# parted -l
Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/pve-data: 5878GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

Number  Start  End     Size    File system  Flags
  1      0.00B  5878GB  5878GB  ext4

I did not try yet with xfs...

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33