[PVE-User] pve-user Digest, Vol 47, Issue 10

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Sat Feb 11 21:56:21 CET 2012

Hi Francesco,

Le 11/02/2012 19:49, Francesco Gabriele a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I do not understand all this controversy, if the server is not
> directly exposed on the internet (as it should be) there should be no
> security problems, then however I have managed to do the upgrade from
> lenny to squeeze without problems:
>
> root at willy ~ # cat /etc/debian_version
> 6.0.4

It is perhaps possible to upgrade to squeeze, I did not try myself, but
it is not, as was stated previously by PVE developpers, a supported
upgraded path to Proxmox VE 2.0. So, if you have VMs in production on
your systems, it is really not a good idea to go this way. You will
certainly have a hard time to upgrade to PVE 2.0...

But I asked myself a long time ago (a year ago), to the developpers to
release a new 1.x version based on squeeze. It would be the first path
to the upgrade to 2.0, and brings a lot of features available in squeeze
by itself. And in this case, going to Squeeze, then to PVE 2.0 would be
a supported path.

PVE 2.0 has a lot of new features by itself (new restful web interface,
new API, new framework for synchronization , corosync, HA, user
management, and so on..). So it is perse a big, anf difficult, upgrade.
Mixing both upgrade to squeeze, and to PVE 2.0 is in my opinion, with
all the diversity of existing installations, a big challenge, which
could be risky for installations, as mine, in production...

Just my opinion.

Alain