[PVE-User] Proxmox extended to support the Lustre high-performance filesystem

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu Jun 2 04:08:35 CEST 2011

As a proof of concept (and just for the fun of it), we've implemented
support for the high-performance filesystem, Lustre, in Proxmox at our
institution.  A small demonstration of live migration with a Debian VM
whose root filesystem is supported over a distributed lustre
implementation can be found here:

   http://dragon.cs.uni.edu/flash/proxmoxlustre.html

This is a token implementation taken fresh off of our initial success in
live migration over Lustre today.  Nonetheless, the changes to the
Proxmox plumbing and the kernel tweaks required should have few problems
porting over to our larger Proxmox clusters which support InfiniBand.

The point of our small proof-of-concept demonstrated in the above
screencast was to see:
  - if it was do-able (we did it, so it is do-able)
  - if it was feasible (we tested it with benchmarks, and it's feasible)
and
  - if it is fully scalable to > 20Gbps Infiniband networks and multiple
distributed Lustre metadata servers (yet to be carried out).

Comments, questions on the implementation, suggestions, and requests for
particular benchmarks are welcome.

ADVthanksANCE
--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\