[PVE-User] backup in cluster

Flavio Stanchina flavio.stanchina at ies.it
Thu Feb 24 18:11:37 CET 2011

On 20/02/2011 6:11,
Luis Díaz <diazluis2007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the following forum thread:
> http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/5777-backup-in-cluster-!
>

> basically I have a cluster with multiple nodes.
>
> where I can program all the VPS backup that are on the different
> machines that make up the cluster, on some specific computers that form
> the cluster which have more disk capacity.
>
> example:
> Graphically speaking:
>
> CPU "A" (master):  5 vps running
> CPU "B" (Node 1):  3 VPS running
> CPU "C" (Node 2): 2TB capacity,
>

> how? schedule backups of CPU A and B, to be stored in the CPU C, on a
> scheduled

Let me see if I understand what you have and what you want.

* nodes A and B are running some VMs, but don't have much storage space
* node C is not running VMs and has plenty of storage
* you want to store backups on node C
* you don't have shared storage (iSCSI, NFS, etc.) between the nodes

It's not possible to create backups from one node on the storage of
another node. You need to export the storage available on C (with NFS,
iSCSI or whatever else you'll find comfortable), then access that
storage on nodes A and B.

The simplest solution would be to create a separate partition on C,
export it via NFS and mount it as type "backup" on all the nodes. Of
course node C will not need to access it through NFS.

Another solution would be to create a VM on C with all the storage space
you want to use for backups, then install OpenFiler in it and use it to
export that storage. While this might be easier to understand, as the
storage appears as a separate server, I don't think it makes sense to
backup the VMs in another VM.

> Proxmox graphical interface blocks the creation of "storage" and
> "backup" in the CPU B and C

Please explain exactly what you tried to do.

--
Flavio Stanchina
Informatica e Servizi

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
  -- Brian W. Kernighan