[PVE-User] Problems with 1.8

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Tue Apr 5 16:03:53 CEST 2011

Michael,

I answer back to the list.

Yes, it's clearer. So you created 5 LVM physical volumes (PV) for each
devices, then 5 LVM Volumes Groups (VG) for each.

Then the best way in my opinion to proceed is to create an LVM logical
volume (LV) for your VM. See this link :
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model

It should appear as a basic disk in your VM, and you should be able to
format it as ext3. I don't see why it could not be seen inside your VM.
The controller is emulated by KVM (IDE...), so it should not be a problem.

Can you post your VM configuration :
# cd /etc/qemu-server
# cat xxx.conf

Can you post also
# vgdisplay
# lvdisplay

Do you see any error massage about your Fiber Channel configuration in
the logs ?

Alain

Le 05/04/2011 15:39, Gusek, Michael a écrit :
> Hi Alain,
>
> of curse, there are physical devices from my SAN: /dev/sdb - /dev/sdh. I've created on each an LVM-Partition (sdb1 - sdh1) and created there my LVM Volume Group data0 -data4. These Volume Groups I added via the Webpage to proxmox storage. It's like with iSCSI or local disk space. Now, I created a Linux Virtual Machine, give space from data0, boot it with Debian Installation CD. I can't install debian, because the disk is not accessible. With booting the same CD but in rescue mode I get a shell, where I can do something, like:
> # ls -al /dev/vda
> crw-rw-rw	1	root	root	254,	0	Apr 5 13:00 vda
> # fdisk /dev/vdb
> Unable to read /dev/vda
>
> Thats my problem. Is it more understandable ?
>
> Michael

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33