[PVE-User] How to migrate Physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to Proxmox
martin at proxmox.com
Fri May 14 16:06:48 CEST 2010
I just did the following:
1. Installed a 64-bit Opensuse 11.2 (gnome-live ISO) in a vmware workstation 7 (I have no physical suse server here)
2. On the Proxmox VE host (I used a 2.6.32 with kvm 0.12.4) I created a new VM, I got the ID 107
3. Poweroff the Opensuse and copied the vmdk file to the Proxmox VE host via scp (to /var/lib/vz/images/107/)
4. Now, added the vmdk disk file to the KVM via web interface and set it as boot device (as IDE)
5. Started, up and running - so no issue here.
So using the converter to migrate the physical host to vmware and then to Proxmox VE should work. Take also a look on the startup logs (Administration/Logs)
From: pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com [mailto:pve-user-bounces at pve.proxmox.com] On Behalf Of Erik van Ast
Sent: Freitag, 14. Mai 2010 10:40
To: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
Subject: [PVE-User] How to migrate Physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to Proxmox
We need to migrate a physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to our Proxmox server.
I have tried different things according to a couple of articles but none of these methods worked for us.
I have also tried to migrate the server to VMWare ESX and from that migrate to Proxmox but that didn't work. We have tried it with copying the flat file to Proxmox and importing it into the new machine, but that didn't work (machine stopped after 2 seconds) and we have tried it by converting the vmdk file to a raw or qcow2 file and importing it after that, but that also didn't work.
Can anyone tell us what the best way is of migrating a physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to proxmox?
I have already found the following articles, but they didn't work out for us (or we did something wrong):
Does anyone have experience with migrating physical servers to Proxmox?
Erik van Ast
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the pve-user