[PVE-User] How to migrate Physical OpenSuse 11.2 server to Proxmox

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Fri May 14 16:06:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

I just did the following:

1.       Installed a 64-bit Opensuse 11.2 (gnome-live ISO) in a vmware workstation 7 (I have no physical suse server here)

2.       On the Proxmox VE host (I used a 2.6.32 with kvm 0.12.4) I created a new VM, I got the ID 107

3.       Poweroff the Opensuse and copied the vmdk file to the Proxmox VE host via scp (to /var/lib/vz/images/107/)

4.       Now, added the vmdk disk file to the KVM via web interface and set it as boot device (as IDE)

5.       Started, up and running - so no issue here.

So using the converter to migrate the physical host to vmware and then to Proxmox VE should work. Take also a look on the startup logs (Administration/Logs)

Br, martin