[PVE-User] Setting up DRBD for OpenVZ containers

Gary Sedgwick gary at symbion.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 10:05:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered recently/elsewhere, but I've had a good
search on the web and can't find the details I'm looking for - so any
advice/details would be much appreciated.

I'm new to Proxmox/OpenVZ, and to DRBD (and Heartbeat etc), but I am a
C++/java developer and know Linux fairly well.  I'm looking to set up a
couple of identical Dell servers with Proxmox, and each has a smallish
(160GB) disk and a 1TB disk.  What I'd like to do is set up the 1TB disk as
a dual primary DRBD device, which seems easy enough, and use this for all
virtual machines (which will be using OpenVZ, not KVM) - not necessarily for
an active/active setup, but more for backup purposes, so that the up to date
data is always accessible on the other node if one of them fails (hence my
preference for dual primary DRBD - so that the data is immediately available
without having to worry about heartbeat/failing over nodes etc).  I might
want to put some data in a proper shared directory e.g. web pages that can
be served by more than one Apache instance, but initially I'd like to take
having a proper active/active setup out of the equation.

I understand that I need a clustered file system on top of DRBD for a dual
primary configuration, and the popular choices seems to be either GFS or
OCFS2.  What I'd like to know is, is this easy to do in Proxmox (running
OpenVZ containers), is GFS preferable to OCFS2 or vice versa, and does
anyone have any example configuration or notes on how to do it?  I've also
read that OpenVZ requires ext3 as a filesystem, but looking at the
documentation, it seems that this is only a recommendation (if you want disk
quotas) - is this correct, or am I missing something?  Are there any gotchas
in using GFS or OCFS2?  Can disk quotas still be used in OpenVZ with either
GFS or OCFS2?

I've seen the DRBD howto in the Proxmox WIKI, but this seems to be
specifically for KVM based VEs (and doesn't use GFS/OCFS2, which is odd as
the DRBD instructions say this is a necessity for a dual primary
configuration).  I've also seen numerous web pages on setting up a
primary/secondary DRBD solution with HA/Heartbeat, but nothing on setting up
a dual primary DRBD device to be used as I've described.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary