[PVE-User] Kernel packages: bug and questions

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Mon Nov 30 12:23:25 CET 2009

Hi,

I understand our question but we focus on other thing currently (etc. HA). Maybe you do not see the whole complexity and efforts for running a distribution.

Just a few words about the needed resources for a second version (KVM only):

Compiling a new kernel and making an ISO is quite easy and fast, but this is only 1 % of the whole job.

Doing support and maintenance, back porting of drivers is an ongoing workload.
Just think of the test lab: two versions means just doubling the costs of the testing cycles.

So a small calculation:
Second test lab with several servers and storages and networks
Man power:
- additional testing engineer, support and development

And finally, hopefully next year it will be possible to have a lot of missing features in the default Proxmox VE installation so doing a split now is creating an edition with quite limited lifetime.

Br, Martin