[PVE-User] 802.3ad Bonding Proxmox 1.4

Jeff Saxe JSaxe at briworks.com
Thu Nov 12 00:37:33 CET 2009

I'm not sure why 943Mb/sec "sucks" -- personally, I'd be pretty
pleased to get such bandwidth, if I asked for a virtual machine and
you hosted it for me on your Proxmox server.  :-)

But seriously, you may not be taking into account precisely what
happens when you use a layer 2 Ethernet aggregate (EtherChannel, or
port channel). The accepted standards of layer 2 say that frames
should not arrive out of order from how they were transmitted, so the
way a port-channeling device treats each frame is to run it through
some quick hash algorithm (based on either source or destination MAC,
IP, or layer 4 port numbers, or some combination), and whatever the
hash comes up with, it sends the frame on that link out of the bundle.
The result of this is that a single long-running conversation between
two endpoints (for instance, one long FTP transfer) is always going to
choose the same Ethernet port over and over for each frame, so even if
you bond together 5 gig Ethernets, one file transfer is going to go
through only one of the five. So a speed of 943Mb/sec is not
surprising -- likely, you are nearly saturating just one gig port
while the others remain idle.

An Ethernet port channel gives you good redundancy, fast failover,
easy expansion, no need to use a routing protocol, no need to think
hard about spanning tree, safety from accidentally plugging into wrong
ports (when you use 802.3ad protocol), etc. But it does not
automatically give you high bandwidth for focused transmissions. It
only gives you high average bandwidth in the larger case, where you
have many hosts (or several IP addresses on the same hosts, or many
TCP conversations, again depending on the frame distribution algorithm
in use on each side of the aggregate). Sorry if that messes up your
plans.

-- Jeff Saxe, Network Engineer
Blue Ridge InternetWorks, Charlottesville, VA
434-817-0707 ext. 2024  /  JSaxe at briworks.com