[PVE-User] How to install Proxmox without CD ?

sylver_b sylver_b at yahoo.com
Wed May 6 11:59:44 CEST 2009

Hello all,

It's now been few days I'm trying to install Proxmox on a server hosted by a colocation provider. I have access to the console and can also boot the system on a rescue mode (some sort of ubuntu livecd).

I've read that many distributions (including debian) allow installing the OS without the CD, as long as I mount the ISO image and copy initrd.img + the kernel (linux26 for proxmox) in my boot partition, copy all the install files on a partition outside root and then change grub menu to reflect the new changes and reboot the box. Unfortunately no matter what I do, the system always freeze when initrd and linux26 are loaded ... Am I missing something somewhere ? Is there any way to install proxmox without the CD ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
SB

ps: below what I've added in grub's menu.lst:
title PROMOX (New installation)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/linux26 vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr ramdisk_size=16777216 rw quiet splash=silent root=/dev/sda4
initrd /boot/initrd.img

and /ISO contains all the CD content - mounted under :
/dev/sda4 4.1G 683M 3.3G 18% /ISO