[PVE-User] Windows 2003 hangs when rebooting

Gerry Demaret ml at x-net.be
Tue Mar 17 11:25:16 CET 2009

Martin Maurer wrote:
> I have seen this on old KVM version with multiprocessor systems.
> I suggest you update to the latest version (if you haven´t already).

Yes, we are running v1.1 on all our machines ever since it came out.

> If you have issues, please always provide the settings used for the KVM
> machine, 32 or 64 bit, and post the content of etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf

This is the content:

name: vm103
ide2: windows-server-2003-R2-CD1-64.iso,media=cdrom
smp: 2
vlan0: rtl8139=EA:35:F8:91:21:D3
bootdisk: ide0
ide0: vm-103-disk.qcow2
ostype: w2k3
memory: 4096
onboot: 1

> Windows 2003 is known to run very stable on Proxmox VE 1.1 with the
> following settings:
>
> - one processor
> - e1000 as network card with the latest drivers from Intel
> - IDE disks

Hmm, well, as you can see, we are using the Realtek driver and two
CPU's. I'll switch it to the Intel one and take one CPU away and see
what it does. I hope this will fix the problem.

Thanks for your answer, Martin!

Kind regards,

Gerry.