[PVE-User] Cluster nodes in different subnets/VLANs

Emmanuel LESTRELIN emmanuel.lestrelin at univmed.fr
Wed Dec 9 22:54:18 CET 2009

You are right, and that is the case : subnet 192.168.100.0/24 stands in VLAN 100, and subnet 192.168.200.0/24 in VLAN 200.
Historically, I had two Proxmox VE hosts on those two distinct subnets. I decided to put both in one cluster in order to be able to perform live migration beetween my two hosts.

On the host standing in VLAN 100, I have created vmbr1 bound to eth0.200 and I have configured the corresponding switch port in trunk mode with default (untagged) VLAN to 100.

Then I have migrated all the VEs on the host standing in VLAN 200 to the host in VLAN 100, and reconfigured them to bind to vmbr1.

Finally, on the host on VLAN 200, I have bound vmbr0 to eth0.100, vmbr1 to eth0 with the original ip and gateway addresses, and configured the switch port in trunk mode with default (untagged) VLAN to 200.

So I have the configuration you described :

  * vmbr0 : VLAN 100 on both nodes
  * vmbr1 : VLAN 200 on both nodes

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com> a écrit :

> That config look quite strange to me – vmbr0 should use the same vlan on both nodes, also vmbr1 should use the same vlan on both nodes.
>
> FROM: Manu Lestrelin [mailto:emmanuel.lestrelin at univmed.fr]
> SENT: Mittwoch, 09. Dezember 2009 12:00
> TO: Dietmar Maurer
> CC: pve-user at pve.proxmox.com
> SUBJECT: Re: [PVE-User] Cluster nodes in different subnets/VLANs
>

> On master cluster node :
>
> # network interface settings
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>

> iface eth0 inet manual
>

> auto vmbr0
>
> iface vmbr0 inet static
>
>     address  192.168.100.4
>
>     netmask  255.255.255.0
>
>     gateway  192.168.100.1
>
>     bridge_ports eth0
>
>     bridge_stp off
>
>     bridge_fd 0
>

> auto vmbr1
>
> iface vmbr1 inet manual
>
>     bridge_ports eth0.200
>
>     bridge_stp off
>
>     bridge_fd 0
>
> On slave cluster node :
>
> # network interface settings
>
> auto lo
>
> iface lo inet loopback
>

> iface eth0 inet manual
>

> auto vmbr0
>
> iface vmbr0 inet manual
>
>     bridge_ports eth0.100
>
>     bridge_stp off
>
>     bridge_fd 0
>

> auto vmbr1
>
> iface vmbr1 inet static
>
>     address  192.168.200.220
>
>     netmask  255.255.255.0
>
>     gateway  192.168.200.1
>
>     bridge_ports eth0
>
>     bridge_stp off
>
>     bridge_fd 0
>

> Dietmar Maurer a écrit :
>
> This error is certainly due to the fact that vmbr0 does not have any
>
> defined gateway : as stated in Cluster.pm line 182, $localip is defined
>
> like this :
>
>     my $localip = $ifaces->{vmbr0}->{address} || $ifaces->{eth0}-
>

> {address};

So what network config do you use now? (/etc/network/interfaces)