[PVE-User] 0.9beta2 minor problems

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Wed Jul 23 14:24:21 CEST 2008

> Well I think it is not mandatory. See the roadmap:
> http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap

Currently the only supported way is using the install media and change more or less nothing on the command line. This is the only way to track issues and keep a reliable system which can be updated without any issues.
The mentioned Debian task package is on the roadmap, means it not done yet - as there are some issues which has to be solved first.

Just to mention:
we compiled and tested around 20 different Kernels for beta2 to identify the most stable for Proxmox VE - and installed on these server multiple OS, windows and linux with all different settings (SCSI device, IDE, network, virtio, mulitprozessor KVM guests etc.)

Many thanks here to the whole development team and very important, the testing team installed hundreds Proxmox VE server VM´s the last weeks.

So why do I mention this here?
You can use and compile a non Proxmox VE Kernel, install custom Debian Etch. But then you lose some of this tested stability.

> AFAIK the only way to use custom partitioning RAID, LVM...etc is with
> debian installer.

LVM is by default, hardware RAID also. Softraid makes no sense for the default.
New in beta2: Installer: added 'swapsize' and 'maxroot' boot parameters.

> The is a nice thing about PVE they do not reinvent the wheel they
> just add a few well made packages. (One line in the sources.list)
>
> > Normally (and recommended) to do not use any other application on the
> > PVE server than the provided services.
> > Any other things must run inside containers/kvm.
>
> I agree.
>
> > This is also recommended for openvz itself, even I use my desktop to
> > play around with openvz, but this is only for testing and not for
> > production.
> >
> > I recommend to use the PVE install media or make your own workaround
> > documents for problems you described.
> >
> > Anyway, as I can see, you already solved all the "problems", right?
> :)
>
> This was some kind of bug report.

[Martin Maurer]
Thanks for this report.