[PVE-User] Migration from Openvz

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Aug 26 21:19:26 CEST 2008

Lorenzo,

----- "lorenzo" <l0r3 at gmk.it> wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to migrate a virtual machine from a
> CentOS based openvz host to a proxmox host (sharing the keys and
> using vzmigrate from the old host)

I haven't done it myself but it should be possible... offline migration only... as last time I checked, online migration was broken in the Proxmox VE 2.6.24-based kernel.

For offline migration vzmigrate just does the following:

1) It does an rsync of the container's private directory while it is running
2) It copies the config
3) It stops the container
4) It does a second rsync of the container's private directory
5) It starts the container on the destination host

I'm not sure where Proxmox VE stores it's private dirs and configs... so you might have to modify vzmigrate (it is a shell script) in order to change paths.  vzmigrate on the CentOS host would be looking for /vz/private/{CTID} and /etc/vz/conf/{CTID}.conf.

If modifying the vzmigrate script is too much work you should be able to manually do the process I described above.

Give a try and see if it works.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle