[pve-devel] Feature idea: import cloud images as disks, or at VM creation

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Nov 9 08:29:17 CET 2021

Hi,

On 09.11.21 03:03, Gilles Pietri wrote:
> There's something I'd like to add to the UI, but I'd like some input from others, or at least know how useful it may sound.
>
> I'd like to be able to import cloud image from distributions.
>
> My idea would be to add a qemu template type (could be raw to start, but really anything that can be imported using qemu-img could do), and use those when needed.
>
> It could be through an to import the disk on an existing VM, or at creation: instead of choosing a CD-Rom, we'd chose a template to import as the main disk, and the size chosen later on would be used to resize it.
>
> What do you think? Is this dumb? Has anyone worked on such an idea?
>
> I'm willing to start exploring adding a template type named Qemu template or so, then working on using that to import a disk, then improve the creation ui..

FYI, there was already some effort in adding an OVF importer to the API/GUI:

https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2021-June/048564.html
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2021-June/048563.html

While it stalled a bit but we still plan to pick that up again in the near
future.

cheers,
Thomas