[pve-devel] Feature idea: import cloud images as disks, or at VM creation

Gilles Pietri contact+dev at gilouweb.com
Tue Nov 9 03:03:09 CET 2021

Hi,

There's something I'd like to add to the UI, but I'd like some input
from others, or at least know how useful it may sound.

I'd like to be able to import cloud image from distributions.

My idea would be to add a qemu template type (could be raw to start, but
really anything that can be imported using qemu-img could do), and use
those when needed.

It could be through an to import the disk on an existing VM, or at
creation: instead of choosing a CD-Rom, we'd chose a template to import
as the main disk, and the size chosen later on would be used to resize it.

What do you think? Is this dumb? Has anyone worked on such an idea?

I'm willing to start exploring adding a template type named Qemu
template or so, then working on using that to import a disk, then
improve the creation ui..

Regards,

Gilles