[pve-devel] Direct migration from XenServer to PVE

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Jan 28 16:55:04 CET 2021

Ciao,

On 27.01.21 10:13, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> Ciao,
> i'm the author of this simple tool: https://github.com/guestisp/xen-to-pve
>
> it works by exporting a XenServer DomU directly to PVE in one phase,
> there is no need to export, extract, join each chunks and so. Just
> call it and a new image file is made.
>
> But there is one issue that i'm unable to resolve: the image should be
> imported with "qm import"
> This lead to loss of time (an additional step is needed) and space
> wasted (the image coming from XenServer should be stored somewhere on
> PVE and then imported).
>
> I would like to write directly to the ZFS volume .

Would it be enough if `qm importdisk` would accept stdin as source as long
as the image size explicitly passed as a paramter?

As that'd seem reasonable and help with other import issues too as one
could just pipe the data over ssh from the source server directly into
importdisk, no intermediate required.

> Can someone tell me how to do that or , even better, make a PR ?

If above is OK then adding special handling to use stdin for when $source
equals "-" and adding a new "size" parameter, which is in general optional
but required for the "-" case.

That change should be limited to editing the CLI definition[0] and the
method doing the actual import[1].

cheers,
Thomas

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-server.git;a=blob;f=PVE/CLI/qm.pm;h=1aa273f39a373594eea0c1dc866e6b245d97e99e;hb=HEAD#l443