[pve-devel] auto ballooning && ksm thresholds both at 80%

DERUMIER, Alexandre Alexandre.DERUMIER at groupe-cyllene.com
Thu Dec 30 11:47:12 CET 2021

Hi,

I'm still working on ha manager ressource aware && loadbalancing (I
have some big improvements to send soon before review)

I currently looking at memory balancing doing a lot of tests,

and I wonder if auto-ballooning threshold shouldn't be a little bit
bigger than ksm.

Currently both are at 80%,
that mean that ballooning is vm reducing memory fast, and ksm don't
have time to run.

as ballooning is a lot more intrusive than ksm, I wonder if it couldn't
be set to something like 90%.

Like this, ksm can try to keep memory at 80%, and if memory is growing
too fast up to 90% or if ksm can't really deduplicate pages anymore, we
have ballooning in action.

What do you think about it ?