[pve-devel] debian11 ifslave bonding bug (with ifupdown1)

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Aug 25 10:46:10 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 25/08/2021 07:55, alexandre derumier wrote:
> multiple users have reported problems if ifenslave (ifupdown1),
> (maintly upgrade from proxmox6 without switch to ifupdown2)

FWIW, I thought about adding a note to the pve6to7 upgrade checker script
to recommend switching to ifupdown2, IMO most probably would fare better with
that, more features (e.g., live reload) and more and more of our setups run it
too, so it gets good testing too.

> when physical interfaces have "auto .."
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0
> auto eth1
> iface eth1
>
> auto bond0
>   iface bond0
>   bond-slaves eth0 eth1
>

> it seem to come from a bug in ifenslave pre-up script
>
> patch here:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?att=2;bug=968368;filename=ifenslave-args.diff;msg=5

did you by chance verify that patch already?

> Maybe it could be great to add a note in the upgrade procedure about
> this until it's fixed. (or maybe provide a fixed proxmox ifenslave
> package)

IMO it's always better to ship a fixed package if possible, upgrade notes tend
to get missed by a not negligible percentage of users.

cheers,
Thomas