[pve-devel] Flow for i18n

Claudio Ferreira filhocf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:46:54 CEST 2021

Hi for all

My name is Claudio and I did some translations for many open source
projects, and I want to help in ProxMox for Brazilian Portuguese (pt-BR)
language. I saw your docs for translators and tried to understand your flow
for i18n. It is simple using gettext, but without a tool for optimization,
if I saw correctly.

In some project translations, like Debian Handbook, they use Weblate[1], a
web translation system developed by a Debian Developer, just to help open
source projects to have an easy system to maintain your translations, so I
think that ProxMox could use it too.

Weblate have integration with git, so you can integrate it with your
repository. You maintain the original po/pot file(s) and publish in git.
Import to weblate (via git), generate lang files or import the existing
files, and translation volunteers enter in weblate and fastly translate
your respective files. After, reimport (as a PR) in your git.

What do you think? Is interesting for Promox project use a tool to turn
more easy maintain i18n flow?

Regards,
Claudio Ferreira