[pve-devel] KVM Templates on CephFS are only shown on one node - not all nodes in the cluster

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Mon Mar 9 09:36:10 CET 2020

On 3/7/20 9:46 PM, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi Dominik,

hi,

> Is there any way to have the templates available on each node in the
> cluster, without making separate copies for each one in Ceph? (That is -
> have them all point to the same underlying files).

i still do not understand why you'd want this?
as you already tried, you can clone it across nodes already, why would
you need the templates on all nodes?

> I tried making a thin clone from one node to another - and then when I
> converted to a template, it simply turned it into a full clone, and
> created a separate copy of the VM disk images - such that I had multiple
> copies of the same files in RBD.

hmm? what exactly did you do and why do you think that they are
full clones?

i just tested it here and converting a 'linked clone' to template
simply renames the vm disks to 'base-...'

'rbd ls -l'

still shows me the correct parent image...

kind regards
Dominik