[pve-devel] intro'ing myself

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Wed Dec 9 12:23:16 CET 2020

On 12/5/20 12:47 AM, Michael Honkoop wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all nice to meet you,

Hi,

> As both a new participant on the list aswell as someone who is trying to step in/up/learn-by-doing i expect my future posts to contain a lot of questions and struggles trying to find a/the structure.

no problem, please ask away.
We try to answer question as good as possible, to a reasonable extent.

Please make sure to read the developer docs[0], they also
contain a link to the build instructions.

> My (personal) goal is to enhance skills and produce a working oauth extension, which i have seen was already requested back in 2017.

Great you want to tackle that.

A good starting point would be probably the 'pve-access-control'
package/repository[1]

Also it would be nice if you could outline your ideas/use-cases before
actually starting to write code, so that we can catch
design problems early.

> As PVE as product means multiple disciplines i hope i can be directed in the right direction, as currently i see the code (individually (per-file)), but i am lacking the linkage.

i am not sure i understand the question.

pve is split into many packages, most of them have their own
git repository[2]

from those repositories, the packages get built and installed.
most code of pve is perl, and in debian
you can find the installed perl packages in /usr/share/perl5
and PVE specific code in /usr/share/perl5/PVE

> I mean an extension of a base something i can understand/comprehend, but some stuff like schema seems to be burried deep somewhere and havent figured out how to add stuff.

the jsonschema is a complicated beast ;)

but to use it you do not have to look at it directly,
better to look at how we use it

in many packages there is a PVE/API2/ folder
which contains the api endpoint definitions

those can serve as examples

hope this helps :)
kind regards
Dominik