[pve-devel] patches for virtiofs qemu

Matias Vara matiasevara at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:59:48 CEST 2019

Hi,

El mié., 29 may. 2019 a las 6:45, Thomas Lamprecht (<t.lamprecht at proxmox.com>)
escribió:

> Hi,
>

> On 5/28/19 6:51 PM, Matias Vara wrote:
> > I worked on the patches in pve-qemu to allow Promox to use virtiofs
> qemu. I
> > committed them at https://github.com/MatiasVara/pve-virtiofsqemu. This
> is
> > still a draft and they might need more work. Comments are welcome.
>
> First, thanks for working and sharing things with Proxmox VE!
>
> For some readers unsure what Virtio-FS is, its website[0] and LWN has some
> coverage[1] about it.

Thanks, I missed those links.

> So, to be sure I understood your approach correctly:
> The Patches are currently all "just" the one's from the pve-qemu repo[2]?
> As initially I looked if there's something added, so not sure if I
> overlooked
> it.

Yes, they are. I had just port some of them.

> Do you already gathered have some experience with it? I saw the work
> happening
> but didn't got to try it out yet. Also, out of interest, what's your
> specific
> use case for this?

I played a bit and it seems working well. I have a proxmox node in which I
am using this qemu. I have some problems to pass the correct arguments so I
am manually editing the VM conf.
My use case is only research, I am developing a driver for virtiofs for a
unikernel and I wanted to try it on Proxmox. I am interested in creating
lightweight VMs in which I run microservices that were dedicated to this
unikernel.

> AFAICT, while the virtio-fs qemu repo sees recent work and merges in qemu
> updates, it only got a single RFC posting yet, which only got some
> light-weight
> reviews. The kernel part got a RFC v2 posted[3] recently. So until the
> qemu and
> Linux project does not agrees in the general direction this is facing, and
> it
> has gotten some more serious review we won't take this in, just as a
> head-ups
> do not make false hopes or whatsoever.

You are right. I just wanted to share it. Maybe there is someone else
interested.

Regards, Matias.