[pve-devel] patches for virtiofs qemu

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed May 29 06:45:18 CEST 2019

Hi,

On 5/28/19 6:51 PM, Matias Vara wrote:
> I worked on the patches in pve-qemu to allow Promox to use virtiofs qemu. I
> committed them at https://github.com/MatiasVara/pve-virtiofsqemu. This is
> still a draft and they might need more work. Comments are welcome.

First, thanks for working and sharing things with Proxmox VE!

For some readers unsure what Virtio-FS is, its website[0] and LWN has some
coverage[1] about it.

So, to be sure I understood your approach correctly:
The Patches are currently all "just" the one's from the pve-qemu repo[2]?
As initially I looked if there's something added, so not sure if I overlooked
it.

Do you already gathered have some experience with it? I saw the work happening
but didn't got to try it out yet. Also, out of interest, what's your specific
use case for this?

AFAICT, while the virtio-fs qemu repo sees recent work and merges in qemu
updates, it only got a single RFC posting yet, which only got some light-weight
reviews. The kernel part got a RFC v2 posted[3] recently. So until the qemu and
Linux project does not agrees in the general direction this is facing, and it
has gotten some more serious review we won't take this in, just as a head-ups
do not make false hopes or whatsoever.

As it look promising, and the ones doing the work here are still on it I have
not much doubt that this will pick up steam in the near future, and once it has
a more stable status we can look at integration into PVE.

cheers,
Thomas

[0]: https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/
[1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/788333/