[pve-devel] Polish translation

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Dec 17 06:33:50 CET 2019

On 12/16/19 10:29 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I've done rough, but pretty complete and readable translation of PVE
> messages and checked them in the real GUI. However it seems that there
> are text strings that are not translatable - for example "Priority" is
> not defined for PVE code, but it is the last column name in the HA Group
> creation.

Some strings are hard-coded if they do not make sense to be translated,
e.g., (Ceph) "Manager", while one could translate "Manager", it has not
to much use as it's rather a name for a daemon, and so people can much
easier search and communicate if the use the original name. But, sometimes
a string was hard-coded without real reason or intention, like in your
cited case "Priority" is really something we want to have translated.

> Is there a way to determine them automatically and make them
> translatable? Or maybe where should I report it collecting them by hand
> (less preferable, but still possible)?

You'd need to change the hard-coded 'Priority' string to one wrapped with
the gettext() i18n method, in this case the HA GroupEdit code[0] in the
pve-manager repository would need to be changed to:
header: gettext('Priority'),

[0]: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-manager.git;a=blob;f=www/manager6/ha/GroupEdit.js;h=3a879f8d6e71245af24f5a28834312c0a6386f9e;hb=HEAD#l73

> There are also some more specific problems, like "Online" in the meaning
> of "live migration" being also used for a OSD state "Active", which has
> no universal equivalent in Polish, so some translations should be
> decoupled etc. If anyone is interested in fixing this, please let me
> know what should I do.

Yeah, this is a general problem with translation of bigger projects,
words reused for another thing can be often done in english, but the
same two (or more) things are completely treated differently in another
language. For such short things like "Online", which is recognized pretty
universally from people in the IT/CS field, I'd say it could be OK to let
it as is. We want this reuse of words also often (and it's not always a
problem), to reduce translation effort..

In this specific case we could switch to "Active" for the OSD; question
is: is this then OK for all other languages we support?

cheers,
Thomas