[pve-devel] Please help: beginner trying to compile Proxmox kernel 4.15

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Sep 12 14:00:04 CEST 2018

On 9/12/18 11:28 AM, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 04:54:46PM +0700, The Anh Tran wrote:
>> /On branch master//
>> //Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.//
>> //nothing to commit (use -u to show untracked files)//
>> /
>>
>> /compile-pve:/source# git clone -b pve-kernel-4.15
>> git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel.git//
>> /
>>
>> /compile-pve:/source# cd pve-kernel/
>>
>> /compile-pve:/source/pve-kernel#
>> /
>>
>> /cd ../pve-kernel/git status -uno//
>> //On branch pve-kernel-4.15//
>> //Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/pve-kernel-4.15'.//
>> //nothing to commit (use -u to show untracked files)//
>> /
>
> which is not what you are supposed to do. just clone pve-kernel:
>
> $ git clone -b pve-kernel-4.15 git://git.proxmox.com/git/pve-kernel.git
>
> and run make
>
> $ cd pve-kernel; make
>
> that will pull in all the needed submodules automatically, no need for
> manually cloning and copying stuff around. note that if I haven't
> misread your "log", you didn't install libpve-common-perl, which means
> the build will fail at a later stage anyway because of this missing
> depednency.
>
>> Make still error at "wrong directory" message
>>
>> File *builld/ubuntu-bionic/include/config/kernel.release* has this content:
>>
>> 4.15.18-4-pve+
>>
>> Most of .o and .ko files also have "-pve+" in their version string.
>>
>> I'm looking for which script generate that "-pve+" suffix.
>
> nothing in our scripts adds a + there. please check the following gist:

The plus comes from the fact that your kernel directory is not clean!

This (upstream) kernel helper scripts adds it:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/scripts/setlocalversion#n165

The solution is not to tinker around with the script but:
1) build as Fabian directed you, i.e., a single clone plus make - no tinkering
2) if you add changes on top, do so in a clean way.

I can just setup a clean Debian install the build dependencies and build just
fine.