[pve-devel] ZFS alternatives

Alexander Schmid alex at modula-shop-systems.de
Thu Feb 22 18:11:10 CET 2018

>>> ext4 on mdraid would be really nice alternative
>>> proven to work for decades now and small footprint
> Yes! EXT4 for are very stable, but leak something advanced tools such as
> compression, dedup and RAID... Well AFAIK, the ext4 doesn't has this
> features... Perhaps am I wrong?
mdadm will do mirroring, and is easy and well know to maintain.

Not sure if one needs any of the other features on the boot volume.
Only thing EXT4 would not do is checksum / integrity check - what i
guess is the reason it is not supported.

afaik, it is possible to install debian minimal on mdadm raid and then
add the proxmox repositories afterwards.