[pve-devel] student question about ha "restricted" option

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Sep 28 17:50:05 CEST 2016

On 28.09.2016 17:22, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> 3 nodes:  kvm1,kvm2,kvm3
>>
>> we have a ha group , with kvm1 && kvm2, with a vm in this group.  Restricted
>> option is disable.
>>

>> We are trying to live migrate the vm to kvm3.  The vm is migrated back to
>> kvm1/2.
>>
>> Students expected that without restricted option, the vm keep running on kvm3.
>
> AFAIR you need to set 'nofailback' for that.

Yes, Dietmar recalls correctly, nofailback does what your students expect.

The restricted version is for controlling failover.  Normally all nodes
which are not already group members are added to the group with -1 priority
(group member nodes can have minimum 0 as priority).  This allows recovery
even if no node from the group is left online but only if the restricted
option is *not* set, if its set the non group members won't get added to the
groups nodes.